SEARCH

Monday, June 25, 2007

Creatures of the Vallee du Lot (The Lot Valley)




The shushhh of rain and the mist that comes up over the river is Mother Nature’s meditative white noise. This is the rainy and gorgeous view from the mill’s roof window. The locals who maintain the Mill and its grounds year round tell me we are 6 degrees Celsius below normal temperatures and that for June, rain is never a worry. The weather is a most welcome chilly contrast to the heat and sun we had in Italy, Croatia and Slovenia.

I have been able to explore and really peek in on the lives of animals close by. The lambs in the field down the road were jumping and playing together.

The scene was also wistfully complete with one bleating black lamb crying out. Weaning is unlikely given the other babies in the field. Lost mother to anticipated or unanticipated causes? I can’t know but I can question. Another farm had bunnies that were being raised (for…?) and a gentle Collie/Sheepdog mix who put his face down into my hands, patient with my three animal appreciating French words. Two elderly men I encounter wanted to talk to me but I’m able to say I don’t speak much French. One really wanted to know where I came from and was surprised I am an American. Conversation is sparse, but the sentiment of warmth and curiosity is there.

Looking out from our mill windows, I seem to have made a couple of little friends. These birds may be nesting somewhere in the roof.
I keep startling them when I go look out the window. They fly all around me trying to get close to me. In the mornings they chirp a hello looking for me to come talk to them. Perhaps someone once fed them from up here. At Cénevières, a local chateau, these horses loved my company and kisses; they help keep the flies away.

There is also a bit of human wildlife here, albeit seasonal. In summer, our host Barbara migrates here from Berkeley where she resides the remainder of her year. She reminds me of Tallulah Bankhead, who I know only through having read a biography. She adores her dog Jack (he’s the mascot for Latitude) and hosts conferences here nearly all summer long. We are the biggest group she has ever had to accommodate. It is an amazing feat to call this place home, but it’s even more remarkable to want to share it. Jack adores and loves everyone but seems to have a particular fondness for David. Special note for the fascinating hummingbird "moth" taking in the flowers by the pool.

1 comment:

Amy K said...

Your travel writing is amazing.