SEARCH

Saturday, November 18, 2006

1 Dom Part $40.00 (Non-Taxable)

















That was what the tiny cash register receipt we were first handed by the City Clerk read- just as plain as jane, as if it were a coffee and muffin we'd purchased. Dom Parts R Us! Hmmm, that kind of goes in several directions not worth linking to...

So that's it, as of this past Thursday, November 16th we're officially, in the eyes of the great city of O (that's Oakland, not Oz- though sometimes you wonder...)- domestic partners. I wonder what other itemized line items the City of O has to offer?

Flash update- as I post this, both the dress (starting point for the seamstress) and shoes have arrived!

Slipping on the shoes, I have to give my kudos to Nine West- these Koolbrides feel great (even with my swollen foot)! Despite the attempts to not be so by making the product name one word, doesn't the spelling kind of remind you of the old COOL cigarette campaign?

Hey Nine West marketers- be careful which generation is buying, will ya? All that evil advertising from the 70's is locked in here like sick cultural glue: I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, he's a Pepper, She's a Pepper, Wouldn't Ya Like to Be A Pepper Too; Pickles, lettuce, something, something...is it don't upset us or don't forget us? Anyway, I believe that was Burger King (I'm not Googling that either). 1/21/07 An update: So... I head to the cobbler to get the shoes dyed and these aren't made from the kind of fabric that can be dyed. Are you kidding me? BAD Nine West. Go directly to jail; do not pass go; and do not collect $200. How many brides to be like me fell for their sale only to find out that if they were wearing these shoes- they'd be white. I guess Nine West is too stuck in the murky backwaters of Victorian era marriages to realize that women want all sorts of color on their wedding day in THIS century; not just white!

Funny, the most neurologically imprinted campaigns are those about things that are now social phobias- at least here on Planet California: inhumanely slaughtered meat cut by underpaid workers, soft drinks (known as pop in some parts of the country), and cigarettes (now cancer sticks). It only took over 30 years for our culture to develop some new behaviors in opposition (rather different from) those these companies spent millions fostering as I was a child.

I'm sorry, this post was about what?

1 comment:

Amy K said...

Oh yes, Stephen and I had one of those too. Gotta love Oakland. No line at the Domestic Partnership Cafe.