SEARCH

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

BLING - For the rest of your life.




David and I have this little joke when one of us is doing something that irritates the other. We turn to the person being irritated and look them squarely in the eyes while droning "...for THE REST of your life..."

In that same vein, our wedding budget is causing me to analyze where my priorities are and which expenses will get the bucks over something else; in short how flexible am I willing to be about my "day of" bling?

I found a band of rubies and diamonds that looks like it was made exactly for my custom engagement ring- which has triangular moonstones, oval rubies and a Canadian diamond in the center (complete with its own passport - no green card needed for this diamond darling!). When I found it- it blew me away. It has the same comet carvings on the side rim, the wheat pattern down the band.

Staring down at the serendipitous "double bling" of the prospective band paired with my engagement ring, I took it off and scooted out of the jewelers as quickly as I could. Is that a Jewish thing? Oh it's perfect!! Run AWAY, Run Away! It's a ferocious, perfect wedding band with little theeth- run away!!! Maybe just some subconscious child of divorced parents thing instead, never really believing something can work out.

Do we get a plain band for the ceremony and upgrade later? Do we just use my engagement ring for the ceremony and get him a band he likes for the day? What's the implication of this deferred acquisition of something I'll look at every day for the rest of my life?

I've been checking out the bling on other women's fingers whenever I can. Sometimes all the gems in the band, the engagement and sometimes a third band looks overdone- but they seem fine with it. Lighthouses on a finger kind of thing. Depending on the woman and the hands, sometimes it's just fine, other times it's waaay too much- grabs you from several rows across the BART car. My prospective band is totally opulent on my hand.

Given the origin of the term bling, I share the wisdom of Wikipedia: Bling-bling (sometimes shortened to simply "bling") is a hip hop slang term which refers to expensive jewelry and other accoutrements, and also to an entire lifestyle built around excess spending and ostentation. In its essence, the term refers to the exterior manifestation of one's interior state of character, normally displayed through various forms of visual stimuli.

I figure the right answer or the capacity to stretch our budget will come to me if I just keeping seeking out everyone else's bling.

In the top 10 Google images for "bling," get you this exquisite photo of hip hop king $.50.

4 comments:

Amy K said...

Sometimes you may want to wear just one of the bling rings and not both. Think yoga.

One of my friends has a bling ring that has actually created callusus on the neighboring fingers. Bling Sting.

Miz Hatbox said...

I mostly wear my wedding band solo and save my (rather modest) engagement ring for dressup occasions. It's just easier that way, what with a job that uses my hands a lot and doesn't require dressing up at all.

You'll figure out something that works for you. and if the ring is truly perfect, you can get over the initial panic moment and order the thing. and if it's right, you'll know.

I remember my first-choice band was a little augmenty-thing for the e-band--do they call them guard rings? I forget. Anyway, the day after they'd had me come in to try on the wax casting, I woke up in the morning and realized, that was the wrong ring. They were nice about it; they had ordered the gold but hadn't made anything other than the wax casting. So I ordered a new ring that would stand along just fine without the e-ring, and felt much better ever since. A good thing too, the way things turned out.

Rachel Medanic said...

Well, David can't stand this picture of $.50. He thinks it's ugly. I think it's Journalistic! Alas, marriages are about compromise. So I'm re-posting a picture of his investment in growing old with something beautiful on my hand- to express what will be in my heart because I have David. BLING Honey!!

Amy K said...

Don't be dissing the hood.