SEARCH

Monday, October 23, 2006

In Search Of... The Tux (tm)



Theresa and Madeleine Nelson and I started our search for the perfect tuxedo yesterday. They know things I don't - like what Rachel's dress is eventually going to look like. I have only two clues: last week's inaugural post on this blog, and a whisper-thin swatch of lavender fabric.

We started with the basics: buy, or rent? I'll probably wind up buying a new tuxedo one of these days... or perhaps buying some black pants with (sigh) adjustable waist lines. But for the wedding, I'll rent. Something unusual. Well, as unusual as men's fashion gets, anyway.

Here's one of the options: a cutaway coat, a gray ascot, and gray vest. Pretty spiff, I think.

The local Selix is having a sale on used tuxedos, this week only. But the only things they have to sell are standard single-breasted notch-style tuxes. (Lest you be impressed by my mastery of sartorial vocabulary, I use a glossary.) I've seen enough standard tuxes that I'm not interested -- it feels buying something I'd wear to high school prom.

Theresa and Madeleine are fabulous shopping companions. Funny, full of strong opinions, weakly held, and with excellent taste.

1 comment:

Amy K said...

I think you should purchase pants and a jacket - something classic that you can wear again. Some times the rental places mess up the order. For our runaway wedding our two of our four guests rented kilts - they were too small and had to make them work. How about a kilt ;-) Make sure your shoes are comfortable - for lots of dancing.

My high school boyfriend rented a fantastic white tux and tails for the prom. It was so cute - his ultimate cool dream. Then again he loved parachute pants when we met...Oh the 1980s.

xoxo Amy