SEARCH

Friday, June 22, 2007

Catalonia




Our first time in Spain. Nothing markedly different than Europe but Catalan has a Portguese and French quality to it that is more sensual than Spanish. David says, "crowded, a little overwhelming but otherwise a great city with delicious food." We spent the day tooling around the Eixample [Ehshampluh] where our bed and breakfast was located.






Visits to Gaudi's famous Casa Batlló and Casa Mila, the usual touristy stuff. In the guest book for Casa Batlló someone wrote in the book (about Gaudi himself), “The man was on drugs.” Some tourists are indeed quite starved for imagination.
This photo David took of me shows Sagrada Familia and what I call "the vibrator" behind me in the distance. The vibrator shaped structure is called the Torre Agbar and was inspired by the mountains of Montserrat. Besides my take on the structure, this wikipedia link talks about some of the other things people call it.
There isn’t much I have to say yet about Barcelona except that I didn’t expect to be quite so vast. It is cooler here but still warm and moist. We will be returning on June 30th for a longer stay.
Gotta love that dragonback!
Here's a view you don't often see from Casa Batlló (don't know what it was about this place but it really set off my fear of heights- so I just pointed the camera over the edge for this one. Eeek!

No comments: