SEARCH

Friday, April 20, 2007

With This (Domain) Name, I Have Thee Wed



It was a standup shocker that I chose to be low key about. The Comcast guy called me "Mrs. Watt" today and I answered "hmmm" with the "yes I'm listening pitch." I think it bums David out a little but I won't be taking his name. Because his family was thinking ahead a long time ago though, they registered the watt.com domain name. So, at minimum, I've taken David's (family's) domain name (in an email address).

But since we are the generations now that are thriving and living in very different ways than the people even just 100 years ago lived, new trends are developing. When I was kicking in the womb, my Mom actually called me David- as a sort of placeholder. She thought I was a boy. She finally has her David now. For many years I was eager to dump my last name and dreamed of more "normal" names. But now that I'm beating my own drum so much these days, I like the uniqueness of my own last name. We're just a few in hundreds of thousands...I've guestimated. I've also heard the theory that my last name is like Johnson over in parts of Russia and Central Europe. We may actually get a little slice of that on our honeymoon...details to follow.

Here's a nice post of the facts and finances about name change options and some of the stereotypes around brides who do traditionally change their names and grooms who choose to be the leading edge of change.

No comments: