SEARCH

Sunday, February 11, 2007


Who Gets to Be The Artist
Growing up I had no siblings or close cousins (geographically or genetically- the closest was 4th) so I didn't get a lot of exposure to weddings. In fact I was well into my teen years before I even got to go to my first wedding. As I result, I had no "castles in the air" built on dreams of how it would be when I got married. I actually never believed it would happen to me.

As I work through the details of planning our day- just 35 days away now- I am eagerly seeking insights about why and how modern brides get the process so wrong. Here's another one of how overscripted and confining it can get. Is this bride really enjoying executing all these details of her vision?

It seems to me that the core of the struggle is in brides who ultimately want to be the artist and the creative direction behind everything. How it looks, feels, smells, sounds, tastes. There is the notion that you get to design your day, but the reality is there are many vendors out there just looking for a little bit of room to give of their own creative process on your behalf.

I am trying to just guide the vision (with a few key quirks- mostly musical - inserted) while leaving the key elements of all this to the professionals. It is a pleasure to be able to extend this trust to them and to know that they've each done many weddings and can come together to make the experience memorable without me micromanaging every little detail. I am thinking of every detail, but trying wherever possible to let someone else execute the broad vision by applying their own creative direction. Wish me continued luck!

Photo by me: The bow and arrow sculpture on the Embarcadero in San Francisco. Unlike most of my photos, I chose to document the sculpture in an unusual way to make it more interesting- because in and of itself, the landmark is not one of San Francisco's better choices for public art.

No comments: